Bank Holiday Upcycling
May is almost definitely our favourite month. Summer holidays are booked, the sun starts shining and best of all, there are two bank holidays!
If you're stuck for ideas on how to make the most of your day? Maybe you need a back up in case the weather ruins your plans? Upcycling an old, tired piece of furniture is incredibly rewarding, and entitles you some great bragging rights when you return to work on the Tuesday!
Following up from our Easter Bank Holiday chair upholstery blog post, it seemed worthwhile to add to our hints and tips!
- Remove the original fabric carefully – this will come in really handy when cutting the pattern of your new fabric.
- Use thick fabric – The fabric needs to be strong enough for you to pull hard without tears.
- Pull the fabric tight - If the fabric is loose, the project may look a little amateur. It's worth taking the time to get this part right. After all, you want people to ask “wow where did you get it?”
- Use an air compressor with a staple gun – It’ll save you time and spare you of some nasty blisters!
- Quality = Time - Sometimes the best quality chairs are the hardest to take apart, so don’t be put off if it takes longer than expected!
- Buy extra fabric – Sometimes things don’t go to plan. Buying a couple extra yards of fabric could save you from a half complete project and bitter disappointment.
- Make it a team effort – Upholstery is a hard task for just one set of hands. Rope in friends and family to pull the fabric tight as you secure it into place.
Finally, if you complete your project before 31st May 2017 we're running a competition to win £50 to spend in store with us. Visit our Facebook page for competition details. Good luck!